f

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Sunday's Soup...On Wednesday! Get Healthy One Step at a Time

For years, I had a membership to a gym, and I always found it interesting that come the first week of January, it would suddenly be packed with people. And then sure enough, by the end of January, the crowds once again thinned, and within a few more weeks, everything was back to normal. 

I ultimately gave up my gym membership as I much prefer to just be outside. I love walking out my front door and having my gym laid out in front of me. Nothing better than a vigorous morning walk :) My niece feels the same way. Rather than a formal gym membership, she bikes to work everyday...even in the winter!!! And remember, that's Chicago winter :/ We both enjoy incorporating exercise into our daily routine. More often than not, I grab a bag and walk to the grocery store. And then there's Gracie, my built in exercise motivator ;) I do attend yoga classes, but that's as formal as it gets for me.

So yes, this is the time of year that many make a resolution to lose weight, eat healthy, exercise more and so on. I think that a part of the problem though is that rather than setting healthy, easy to attain goals, so many try to do too much too fast. Shows like the Biggest Loser where people drop lots and lots of weight in a short amount of time are just not realistic. 

I wanted to post this recipe today because, number 1, it's SOOOO easy to make. And number 2, since it's so easy, it's something that you can quickly whip up, have on hand. A nice easy step toward a little more of a healthier lifestyle.

Over the holidays, our niece and her husband invited us to come for dinner. Her husband is a marvelous cook. If he invites, I'm there!!! And what's so very nice is that he always makes an entirely vegetarian meal for me. 

On this visit, he had made a broccoli soup. It was so very good, and I was surprised by how simple it was to make.

Begin with 6 crowns of broccoli, about 3 pounds. Place them in a large pot. Add water for boiling along with about 2 tablespoons of sea salt. Chop 6 green onions and add to the broccoli.

  
Boil the broccoli until tender, 10-15 minutes.

Remove the broccoli from the pot, and reserve the water. Place broccoli in a blender. It's quite a bit of broccoli, so you will need to do it in batches. Blend until pureed.

Add the reserved salted water to the broccoli until soup is desired consistency. And that's it!!! How much easier does it get??? Broccoli, green onions, water, and salt. And it's delicious!


I added crumbles of feta cheese to my soup for a little protein, and lots of black pepper. I LOVE pepper :)


Broccoli is packed full of vitamins. It's especially great at this time of year when colds are lurking around every corner. And with this soup, you are getting mega doses of all those wonderful vitamins that love to attack colds. Kinda like creating your own little war in your belly ;)  The title of this soup is going to be War of the Worlds Broccoli Soup. On Sunday, I'll have another fun recipe for you and I'll have the link up then for a printable recipe of the War of The Worlds Broccoli Soup. 

But don't wait until Sunday to make the soup. Make it now!!! 
Actually, anytime will be fine :) But if you like broccoli, I think you'll love the soup. Oh, and it freezes well too. So make plenty and then store in small containers for an easy lunch.
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. You are so right about the simplicity of that recipe! Now we are both around for lunch i am making more soup than ever - so any recipe comes under consideration. Thanks for another contender Rhonda 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What’s interesting is that although there is no cream in the soup, it has a very satisfying, rich taste. You may want to experiement with the amount of salt you put in the water. Use a little less, and then add more for seasoning. Serve it with some of your wonderful bread, and you’ll have a fabulous lunch. Jess would love it too!

      Delete
  2. You're making me hungry!
    I add a potato to the broccoli, then at the end - add a dollop of sour cream. Parmesan grated or shredded on top also works well. So many variations possible on such an easy thing to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. We will try it.

    We have enjoyed many of your Sunday Soups. Last night I made the Winter Root Vegetable Soup with Kale, and green Pigeon peas - a new veggie to me. I substituted rutabaga for the Irish potatoes since we limit how much white potato we eat. It was delicious.

    Thanks for your generosity in sharing your soup recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete