f

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday's Soup/Rustic Potato with Radish Greens

Don't worry, this isn't turning into a food or cooking blog.

This last week I was asked to put a couple of my art pieces in an exhibit. As much as I would like to participate, my answer was, "I'm sorry, but if I add one more thing to my plate, I think I will lose my mind." It has been a difficult summer, with one thing after another going wrong. And on top of it all, we have had house guests, which I truly enjoy, but, I'm tired. With two guests in the house this past week, I decided to just take a break and not visit the blog. 

Although I may take a break, I still eat, and I still cook, and I still enjoy sharing some of my wonderful finds with you!

Last week I told you how I just couldn't throw away the lovely greens from the carrots that I purchased at the farmer's market. Well, this week it was the greens from the radishes that I purchased. I thought that if the greens from the carrots could make such a lovely pesto, what could I do with the radish greens?


Well, they are wonderful in soup! The original recipe is called Rustic Radish Soup. It's actually a potato soup with radish greens, so I took the liberty of changing the name :) 


To make the soup, you begin with leeks and a purple onion that you chop and then saute in butter. For a vegan version, just use olive oil.


The recipe says that you may either skin the potatoes, or leave the skin on. I left the skin on the potatoes just to add to the nutrients in the soup. 
Once the leeks and onions have softened, the potatoes are added along with water. The recipe also calls for the addition of an anchovy. Again, for a vegan version, just leave it out. I love anchovies, so I added it and all it does is enhance the soup. 
The mixture is then boiled until the potatoes are tender. At that point, add the radish greens along with some chopped parsley and allow to cook for another 5 minutes. Puree the mixture and then add 3/4 cup of chopped radishes.  


Allow the radishes to sit in the hot soup for a few minutes before serving. They will become tender and will also mellow a bit. 


The final addition to the soup is cream. I saw no need for the cream and deleted it from my soup. So as you can see, the soup is very adaptable to a vegan version.

In case you missed it, you can find the original recipe HERE. I think that if you decide to give the recipe a try, you'll truly enjoy the mellow, yet robust taste of the soup. This soup is perfect for a cold winter evening, but I'm one of those crazy people who eats soup all year long, even on the hottest days! 

Enjoy!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. Soup is always good to eat, and very soothing. You sound as though you need a little (or a lot!) of soothing at the moment. Be good to yourself - and enjoy that scrumptious soup. K x

    ReplyDelete