f

Saturday, January 2, 2016

My Sew News Sew Alongs 2015 Year In Review

For the past 2 years, I have been given the honor of writing for Sew News. And....guess what!!!, I've been asked back for a 3rd year. Just wait until you see the coat that will be featured in the Feb./March issue. It is a fabulous coat! But that's all I can say for now ;)
So I thought I would take one last look back at 2015 and showcase the sew alongs that I did for Sew News. At the top of the blog you will find a tab that will take you directly to all the sew alongs, week by week. At the moment, I only have the 2015 sew alongs on the page, but I will be adding links to all of the sew alongs that were done in 2014. In the meantime, you can find the link page HERE.

The first pattern that we did in 2015 was the so very pretty and feminine Valentine Slip from Sew Chic Patterns. I've made 3, and I love each and every one. This pattern will also double for a beautiful nightgown and would be a lovely gift for the bride to be. You can find the pattern on the Sew Chic website or at Sew News HERE.
I did the red slip for the sew along. On the top right you see a close up of the slip that was featured in the magazine. On the bottom left is the slip I made and trimmed with an antique ribbon. I especially love this slip. 
The next piece that we made was the Decades of Style Arches Skirt. I love this skirt! It's great with flats and of course I have a pair of killer heels that I especially enjoy wearing with it. The skirt works with a simple blouse or t-shirt and can be paired with a jacket or sweater. 
For the sew along, I underlined the skirt with cotton batiste and I showed you how to create a lining. A lining pattern is not included with the pattern. I also added the cording to accent the arched detail at center front. If you would like to check out the pattern, you can find it HERE on then Sew News website.
We moved into summer with the Movies In The Park Shorts from Dixie DIY.
In the sew along, I showed you how to lengthen the pattern for a longer leg. I also added the piping to the pockets and the waistband. You can always find the pattern HERE on Dixie's website.
Next came the honor of honors!!!!! My Grainline Studio Portside Travel Set made the cover. Just amazing :)
I made the bags featured on the cover out of faux leather and a fabulous piece I purchased from The Needle Shop, a great little fabric shop in Chicago. Be sure to check them out as they also have an online shop.  
The sew along bags were made from an Amy Butler print and real leather. I LOVE my bags!!!! You can check out the pattern HERE.
Then came my new favorite jacket, the Upline Jacket from Sewn Square One. I really need to share some pictures of me in the coat. It's getting a little too cold to wear the jacket, but I still think I can brave the elements for a few pictures :) Absolutely love the lines of this jacket. Check out the bottom right picture below. The way the pocket just melts into the seam is just so lovely.
The pattern features 3 lengths. I made the shorter length for the magazine and the longest length for the sew along.  You'll notice above that the back of the jacket is quite full. I took the fullness out for the short version and gave it a sleeker look. You can check out the pattern HERE. Whether short or long, this is a fun jacket to make and a wonderful jacket to wear.
We ended up the year with the Cosmo Convertible Bag from Studio Kat Designs, the bag that does it all! It's a shoulder bag, a cross body bag, and a backpack. The last post for the sew along will be up next week, so keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, you can find the pattern HERE.

I would be remiss if I didn't give thanks where it is due, and that's to all of you. Sew News would not have asked me back for a 3rd year if you didn't support me. Thank you so much...so VERY MUCH!!! And last, but not least, I also need to thank Sew News for believing in me and giving me this opportunity :) 
Now let the sewing fun begin for 2016!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

13 comments:

  1. What a great year....and years! Congrats on number 3 and wishing you more sewing fun this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful work you do Rhonda. My favourite is the skirt, next would be the coat. Looking forward to further sew-alongs from you. To a great new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what 2016 offers ! This year I'm pledging to do o e of your sew alongs ! Your such an inspiration !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, some great items made in the sew a longs. You sew so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! All beautiful stuff, but I especially like the slip and the shorts. Off to check out a few of your links...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should feel very proud of your work, Rhonda. Congrats! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on being asked back for a third year. I enjoy your sew alongs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great news - and not really surprising. Your sewing is exquisite! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hard work has been rewarded. Not only with fabulous garments and bags but also recognition and a third year at the magazine. Here's to many more Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 3rd year! 2015 swellings were great. I really do love those travel bags. Looking forward to seeing what 2016 brings. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your sewn items! Congrats for being asked to write for Sew News a third year in a row - wonderful! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've had a wonderful year and we all are looking forward to another year of you sharing your wisdom, skills and knowledge, recipes too!

    I need to make that Arches skirt, so flattering and unique. Thanks for reminding me. Happy New Year, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete