f

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Master Sewing And Design Certification/Couture Hooks

Of the 7 modules in the Master Sewing and Design Certification program, Garment Construction is probably the most labor intensive. In this module, you must demonstrate in Section One;
1. Various Types of Seams
2. Seam Finishes
3. Hand Stitches
4. Machine Hems
5. Proper Interfacing Choices
6. Closures

In Section Two you are required to construct 4 garments that demonstrate various darts, pockets, facings and waistband techniques.
Over the next few weeks, we will concentrate on working through Section One of the Garment Constructions Module. I hope that it will be fun as well as informative. 
A while back, I did a tutorial on how I sew on my hooks for Sew News when we were constructing the Decades of Style Arches Skirt. So many of you asked for a video, so to kick things off, I thought I would do a little video on how I sew my hooks.
In the written tutorial that I did, I used a standard bar hook. You can find that tutorial HERE.

For the video tutorial, I used a decorative hook. It's a little larger and I felt that it would be a little easier to see. At least that's my hope :)
I hope you enjoy the video tutorial. I love doing things like this!


As I said, in the upcoming weeks, we will be doing lots of seam finishes, hand stitches and hemming techniques.  
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

22 comments:

  1. Well no wonder mine often fall off. Wow! Putting this one in my back pocket. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this technique before, even in some older garments I have, but I absolutely love it! I can see hooks being sewn like this as being EXTREMELY secure. Thank you so much, Rhonda, for taking the time to film this tutorial...already PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aisha :) You'll never have another hook come undone!

      Delete
  3. My stitching on hooks never looks this pretty. I'm going to try looking at your tutorial while stitching next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first few were a little wonky if I remember correctly. But you are very experienced, so I am sure you won't have a problem.

      Delete
  4. i just photographed a skirt that NEEDS this. it fit fine, but after an just hour of wear, the hook is totally loose. thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this post! I sewed a hook and eye on recently and botched it. I didn't realize that when properly sewed, there was a 'figure eight' involved. I will go back and re-sew now! Can't wait to see your other 'certification' posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful technique! Thanks, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial, thanks Rhonda. My hooks and eyes are always a 'homemade' giveaway. I'm definitely going to use your method next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a little word of warning, once you start, you'll never be happy with the quick method ever again :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful details make garments so special. I wouldn't use this for everything but it really elevates a special project. Thanks for making the video Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent, Rhonda. I'm glad you decided to post a video tutorial of this process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Rhonda. I'm going to enjoy watching these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to go look at that video tutorial. Your hooks are sewn gorgeously!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've sewn my hooks on with this method for years - I was taught this was the "buttonhole stitch" which creates the little bead on the edge. The "figure eight" beginning is new to me though so I'll try that. Thanks - your tutorial was very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem was that the first stitch would not always lay as flat as I wanted. The figure 8 helps to lock it down and create a nicer beginning. You are tight, the stitch is actually just a buttonhole stitch. it just looks so pretty :)

      Delete