f

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Eating For Your Future/Fresh Gazpacho

As much as I love to cook and put a meal together, I often think about how nice it would be to have a personal chef. How lovely it would be to just show up at dinner time to a lovely prepared meal. This past week, some friends were visiting. Whenever they come, they always prepare at least one meal. It's like a dream come true. I get to just show up at dinner time and sit down to a lovely meal!! What's even better, they go out of their way to prepare something that they know I will love. On this week's menu was a glorious Gazpacho, hearty and absolutely delicious. 
But this wasn't your everyday Gazpacho, avocado and crab meat was first put in the bowl and then the Gazpacho was ladled on top. Digging through the bowl and finding the avocado and crab meat was like finding gold! 1/2 avocado was added to each bowl.
Chunky Gazpacho

1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped green onion
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups tomato juice
*for a little extra spice add 1 chopped cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients and chill well.

This recipe could also be pureed for a super nutritional drink, minus the avocado and  crab meat of course. My friend doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers for another meal. Guess what, as good as it was the first time, it was even better on the second go around! Word to the wise, double the recipe and enjoy the leftovers :)
If you would prefer a vegan/vegetarian version of the soup, just leave out the crab meat. But if you like seafood, shrimp would also be a nice alternative to the crab meat.
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Looks scrumptious.....going to try and will be adding the cayenne pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow cayenne every summer, so this was one that I picked the bush. So good :)

      Delete
  2. Looks so, so delicious! I wish someone would come cook for me sometime--you lucky lady! :) My 'go to' Gazpacho recipe is from Helen Cobitt's recipe book that my lovely MIL gave me. She was introduced to Helen's lovely creations when Helen worked for Neiman Marcus (perhaps in the 50's?) It's a very simple, but (we think) delicious recipe - especially when made with garden fresh veggies. If you'd like the recipe, let me know--I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have the recipe if you don't mind sharing it. sewbussted@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. What lovely friends you have! This looks like the perfect summer mea. I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do have lovely friends :)
      It's so light and fresh and like I said, you could purée it and drink it too. Add a little vodka and you'll have a party ;)

      Delete
  4. This looks very good! I have been eating only vegetarian lately, and I am sure this tastes just as good without animals in it :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, you'll never miss the seafood, but if you like avocado, be sure to add it as it really is a lovely addition.

      Delete
  5. This looks and sounds wonderful. I've been making a beet gazpacho lately, in an effort to cut down the tomato content just a little bit. We had four generations at our house recently, and beet gazpacho was a hit with all ages. Thanks for always sharing such healthy, tasty meals with us.

    ReplyDelete